Second Amendment vs. reality
We've had a lot of talk about guns these days and Constitutional rights as they pertain to firearms. There seems to be much confusion or, at the least, a lot of misunderstanding.
So what exactly does the Second Amendment say? The second Amendment states:
"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
It's very hard (though often done) to clarify just what the framers meant when one attempts to relate their words to today's concerns.
"A well regulated militia"? Today we call them the military. And even closer to that understanding we have the sheriffs and police departments to protect and serve us.
There is one phrase I'd love to have the framers elaborate upon once they walked around any major city of today: "The security of a free state, shall not be infringed upon."
Lastly, after walking the floor of a gun show or browsing through a large, well-armed pawn shop, I wonder if there might be an amendment to "the right of the people to keep and bear arms." There are so many points to ponder about this gun control issue, such as hunting with assault weapons.
Where's the sport in the sport of hunting with a long magazine clip in your semi-automatic assault rifle? Imagine eating your favorite piece of chicken after it was shot with a couple of rounds from a pump shotgun.
Why the big pushback on background checks for people purchasing guns?
In order to get married you have to have a blood test to see whether there might be a possible medical concern in the union of those two hearts.
It's a little difficult to see how filling out another form or two and delaying taking possession of your prize a couple days is eroding one's island of liberty.
We owe it to ourselves, as Americans, to remember that not all of the mass killings in this country were delivered through the muzzle of an assault rifle.
Many lives are stolen with semi-automatic handguns.
Isn't it time to muzzle the ease with which anyone can get his hands on a hair-trigger weapon?
Ron Thompson is a Tower staff writer. Email him at hatizronthompson(at)yahoo.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent Laney Tower News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST LANEY TOWER NEWS
RECENT LANEY TOWER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- For Love of the Game -- Smokeless Tobacco Still a Part of...
- How Plumbing Is Flushing Into the Future
- New App Takes the Task Out of Boat Maintenance
- Talk Before You Take When Dealing With Medicine
- Eclectic Father's Day Gift Ideas for Dad
- When on an Association Board, Education Is a Must
- Anti-Cancer Compounds Show Promise in Early Research
- 5 Ways to Keep Your Home Clean During a Remodel
- This Spring, It's all About That Bass Fishing -- and Your...
- Pepper Spray Conversations Heat Up, Myths Debunked
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'
- UT Austin Tops All-America Student Analyst Competition 2014-15
- SVG, NACDA Announce Finalists for 2015 College Sports Media Awards