Second Amendment vs. reality
We've had a lot of talk about guns these days and Constitutional rights as they pertain to firearms. There seems to be much confusion or, at the least, a lot of misunderstanding.
So what exactly does the Second Amendment say? The second Amendment states:
"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
It's very hard (though often done) to clarify just what the framers meant when one attempts to relate their words to today's concerns.
"A well regulated militia"? Today we call them the military. And even closer to that understanding we have the sheriffs and police departments to protect and serve us.
There is one phrase I'd love to have the framers elaborate upon once they walked around any major city of today: "The security of a free state, shall not be infringed upon."
Lastly, after walking the floor of a gun show or browsing through a large, well-armed pawn shop, I wonder if there might be an amendment to "the right of the people to keep and bear arms." There are so many points to ponder about this gun control issue, such as hunting with assault weapons.
Where's the sport in the sport of hunting with a long magazine clip in your semi-automatic assault rifle? Imagine eating your favorite piece of chicken after it was shot with a couple of rounds from a pump shotgun.
Why the big pushback on background checks for people purchasing guns?
In order to get married you have to have a blood test to see whether there might be a possible medical concern in the union of those two hearts.
It's a little difficult to see how filling out another form or two and delaying taking possession of your prize a couple days is eroding one's island of liberty.
We owe it to ourselves, as Americans, to remember that not all of the mass killings in this country were delivered through the muzzle of an assault rifle.
Many lives are stolen with semi-automatic handguns.
Isn't it time to muzzle the ease with which anyone can get his hands on a hair-trigger weapon?
Ron Thompson is a Tower staff writer. Email him at hatizronthompson(at)yahoo.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent Laney Tower News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST LANEY TOWER NEWS
RECENT LANEY TOWER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got a Headache? Manage it With Chiropractic Care
- 3 Pescadores Rescatados en el Mar gracias a Dispositivo GPS
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections