Second Amendment vs. reality
We've had a lot of talk about guns these days and Constitutional rights as they pertain to firearms. There seems to be much confusion or, at the least, a lot of misunderstanding.
So what exactly does the Second Amendment say? The second Amendment states:
"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
It's very hard (though often done) to clarify just what the framers meant when one attempts to relate their words to today's concerns.
"A well regulated militia"? Today we call them the military. And even closer to that understanding we have the sheriffs and police departments to protect and serve us.
There is one phrase I'd love to have the framers elaborate upon once they walked around any major city of today: "The security of a free state, shall not be infringed upon."
Lastly, after walking the floor of a gun show or browsing through a large, well-armed pawn shop, I wonder if there might be an amendment to "the right of the people to keep and bear arms." There are so many points to ponder about this gun control issue, such as hunting with assault weapons.
Where's the sport in the sport of hunting with a long magazine clip in your semi-automatic assault rifle? Imagine eating your favorite piece of chicken after it was shot with a couple of rounds from a pump shotgun.
Why the big pushback on background checks for people purchasing guns?
In order to get married you have to have a blood test to see whether there might be a possible medical concern in the union of those two hearts.
It's a little difficult to see how filling out another form or two and delaying taking possession of your prize a couple days is eroding one's island of liberty.
We owe it to ourselves, as Americans, to remember that not all of the mass killings in this country were delivered through the muzzle of an assault rifle.
Many lives are stolen with semi-automatic handguns.
Isn't it time to muzzle the ease with which anyone can get his hands on a hair-trigger weapon?
Ron Thompson is a Tower staff writer. Email him at hatizronthompson(at)yahoo.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent Laney Tower News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST LANEY TOWER NEWS
RECENT LANEY TOWER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists