Photo Essay: Rescue Education
Severe budget cuts are threatening the state of education throughout California. Students, faculty and concerned citizens from school districts across the state, including organizers from Oakland, Alameda and Berkeley attended the mass Sacramento protest against cuts, March 5.
After hearing testimony from select organizers, the California Assembly Budget Subcommittee rejected plans to cut $1.4 billion from the CalWORKS program.
Yet we are still losing classes.
One solution supported by the California Federation of Teachers among other organizations is "The Millionaires' Tax." This tax would affect only those making a million dollars a year or more, requiring the wealthy to pay an additional 3% or 5% each year.
Photography courtesy Luis NÃºÃ±ez - Special to The Tower
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent Laney Tower News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST LANEY TOWER NEWS
RECENT LANEY TOWER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Insuring the Health of America's Emerging...
- New FDA-Cleared Device Significantly Advances IV Therapy...
- Take a Bite Out of Gum Disease By Seeing a Periodontist
- Natural Health Care From Down Under Poised to Make U.S....
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GREAT GRADUATION GIFT: WHAT THEY DIDN'T TEACH YOU IN SCHOOL!
- National Foundation for Infectious Diseases Calls on College Campuses to Be Prepared for Meningococcal Disease
- Safety App BlueLight Launches at 10 New Campuses for Sexual Assault Awareness Month
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!