Photo Essay: Rescue Education
Severe budget cuts are threatening the state of education throughout California. Students, faculty and concerned citizens from school districts across the state, including organizers from Oakland, Alameda and Berkeley attended the mass Sacramento protest against cuts, March 5.
After hearing testimony from select organizers, the California Assembly Budget Subcommittee rejected plans to cut $1.4 billion from the CalWORKS program.
Yet we are still losing classes.
One solution supported by the California Federation of Teachers among other organizations is "The Millionaires' Tax." This tax would affect only those making a million dollars a year or more, requiring the wealthy to pay an additional 3% or 5% each year.
Photography courtesy Luis NÃºÃ±ez - Special to The Tower
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent Laney Tower News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST LANEY TOWER NEWS
RECENT LANEY TOWER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Skydiving Vikings to Deliver Minnesota's Game Ball
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!