Photo Essay: Rescue Education
Severe budget cuts are threatening the state of education throughout California. Students, faculty and concerned citizens from school districts across the state, including organizers from Oakland, Alameda and Berkeley attended the mass Sacramento protest against cuts, March 5.
After hearing testimony from select organizers, the California Assembly Budget Subcommittee rejected plans to cut $1.4 billion from the CalWORKS program.
Yet we are still losing classes.
One solution supported by the California Federation of Teachers among other organizations is "The Millionaires' Tax." This tax would affect only those making a million dollars a year or more, requiring the wealthy to pay an additional 3% or 5% each year.
Photography courtesy Luis NÃºÃ±ez - Special to The Tower
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent Laney Tower News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST LANEY TOWER NEWS
RECENT LANEY TOWER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- 2016 Resolutions: Time for an Update?
- GlobalGiving and Athletic Tips Partner to Help Keep Young...
- Share Your Love This Valentine's Day
- From Bratty to Bearable, Global Nanny Jo Frost Tackles...
- Fibromyalgia: The Disease Whose Exact Cause Remains Unknown
- Beware Scourge Pricing When Using Apps Like Uber
- How Safe Is Your Child's Bedroom?
- Is Your Smile Unforgettable?
- Gallup Report Shows More Americans Favor Chiropractic Care
- Reading Program Is 'Changing Lives One Student at a Time'