Photo Essay: Rescue Education
Severe budget cuts are threatening the state of education throughout California. Students, faculty and concerned citizens from school districts across the state, including organizers from Oakland, Alameda and Berkeley attended the mass Sacramento protest against cuts, March 5.
After hearing testimony from select organizers, the California Assembly Budget Subcommittee rejected plans to cut $1.4 billion from the CalWORKS program.
Yet we are still losing classes.
One solution supported by the California Federation of Teachers among other organizations is "The Millionaires' Tax." This tax would affect only those making a million dollars a year or more, requiring the wealthy to pay an additional 3% or 5% each year.
Photography courtesy Luis NÃºÃ±ez - Special to The Tower
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent Laney Tower News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST LANEY TOWER NEWS
RECENT LANEY TOWER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit