Photo Essay: Rescue Education
Severe budget cuts are threatening the state of education throughout California. Students, faculty and concerned citizens from school districts across the state, including organizers from Oakland, Alameda and Berkeley attended the mass Sacramento protest against cuts, March 5.
After hearing testimony from select organizers, the California Assembly Budget Subcommittee rejected plans to cut $1.4 billion from the CalWORKS program.
Yet we are still losing classes.
One solution supported by the California Federation of Teachers among other organizations is "The Millionaires' Tax." This tax would affect only those making a million dollars a year or more, requiring the wealthy to pay an additional 3% or 5% each year.
Photography courtesy Luis NÃºÃ±ez - Special to The Tower
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent Laney Tower News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST LANEY TOWER NEWS
RECENT LANEY TOWER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge