Tumblr blocks 'thinspo' blogs
Tumblr, the popular blogging site, announced on Feb. 23 it is enforcing a new policy that will prohibit blogs that promote eating disorders and other self-harm.
On its staff blog Tumblr wrote, "We are deeply committed to supporting and defending our users' freedom of speech, but we do draw some limits. As a company, we've decided that some specific kinds of content aren't welcome on Tumblr."
The eating disorder community sometimes referred to as "thinspo" (short for "thinspiration") or "pro-ana" (anorexia nervosa) is one of the fastest growing communities on Tumblr.
Bloggers who continue to share this content will be given a short amount of time to edit their posts and, if they fail to do so, will be removed from the site.
If one was to search by using keywords such as "pro-ana," "thinspo," "thinsparation," "purge," "bulimia," or "anorexic," public service ads will appear alongside, stating the dangers of eating disorders, as well as adding contact info in order to get help.
With Congress's attempt to pass the SOPA and PIPA bills earlier this year, Internet users are fighting stronger than ever for their right for freedom and privacy online. Already, this decision has created some backlash. Some have criticized the new policy for promoting censorship and a violation of "Freedom of Speech."
In a way, the policy does go against freedom of speech. But to what extent can we use this freedom to justify material that is deemed as dangerous and damaging to impressionable adolescents?
Despite the outcry from the eating disorder and self-harm communities, many bloggers on Tumblr are supportive of the new policy. As one user wrote, "I am all for free speech, but in this case, the safety and health of people trumps looking at these unhealthy images. Will these blogs still exist? Sure. But they will be harder to access and maybe people will be saved. And that's my hope."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent Laney Tower News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST LANEY TOWER NEWS
RECENT LANEY TOWER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections