Building front collapses
The Oakland police received a call about an explosion from concerned residents of a local community on Feb. 6.
When police arrived there were no signs of an explosion, just hundreds of bricks that had fallen from the Express Market and liquor store located at 1250 International Blvd.
No one was hurt in the unexpected avalanche. Oakland Police investigated the premises 15 minutes after the accident. Firefighters arrived almost immediately since the site is directly across the street from a fire department.
Local residents, passersby, and school children took time to stop and look in amazement as a two-man work crew piled the heavy debris on the sidewalk. The cause of the accident has yet to be determined by investigators, as they look further into what might have caused the building to suddenly lose some of its exterior.
One local resident, Susan Li, commented, "I am happy no one was walking by and got hurt. Maybe it has been a long time since the building has been retrofitted." Workers say that it will take quite some time to repair the building. Costs of repair, which the owner is responsible for, are currently unknown.
The store and the corner that it resides on will be roped off until the fire department can determine if further collapse is possible. Hassan Ahmed who rents the building was very upset and has no idea when he will be open for business. "I don't know anything, I am surprised I came to open and the police were here. I am glad no one was hurt."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent Laney Tower News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST LANEY TOWER NEWS
RECENT LANEY TOWER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Giving the Elderly a Lift -- In Their Home
- 4-H Grown: Alumni Asked to Stand Up and Support STEM...
- Haven't Tried Sardines? Try These
- Weatherizing Your Home Can Mean Big Benefits
- 10 Tips to Stay Safe During Spring Break
- 10 Tips for Staying Safe During Spring Break
- 3 Things to Know Before Ride-Booking a Car
- For Advanced Heart Failure Patients, There Is Hope
- Bringing Chiropractic to the Little League
- Singapore Pastor Kong Hee Maintains Innocence, Gains...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Potential health risks of hookah smoking are being overlooked by users
- Study Finds College-age Millennials Hopeful for the Future, Worry about Student Loans and Overspending
- RetailMeNot Helps Students Save Money on Spring Break Travel
- Visit Virtual Study Abroad Fair on February 25 to explore study abroad options and win prizes
- Students kill three birds with one stone