Are we addicted to our iPhones?
I've talked about how dependent we've all become on our mobile devices. Take a quick look while riding BART and you'll see a dozen or so people fixated on some sort of device.
Recently I misplaced my iPhone. For the first few days, it felt similar to the time I quit smoking. I could feel the urge to check something, anything-Twitter, news, email, Facebook, weather, etc.-every few minutes.
I then realized how my Internet usage had changed since getting my first Smartphone. Although I cannot say if the overall amount of time I was spending online had changed much, the frequency of how often I was checking something had increased drastically. Although I was consuming data in smaller bytes, I was online constantly.
As time went on, I grew accustom to not having a mobile device. Eventually it was liberating; I came to remember a world I'd forgotten! I felt more relaxed; I grew used to not being connected all the time. I found I could wait until I got home to check into whatever. I pondered things instead of Googling them. I listened to the birds instead of always controlling what I was listening to. I started to read things that were actually printed on paper!
I eventually found my iPhone. I'm glad I did, but I'm thinking maybe I should spend a month each year not carrying any mobile device. While I realize this would be impractical for many of us these days, I would, invite anyone who is able to: try leaving your mobile device at home whenever you can. You'll be surprised at all of the things you notice!
Christophe Robin is a Tower staff writer. E-mail him at email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent Laney Tower News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST LANEY TOWER NEWS
RECENT LANEY TOWER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- How to Make Outdoor Spaces as Beautiful and Comfortable...
- Railway Emergency Training Keeps Responders on Track
- 6 Myths About Pet Allergies
- Medical Cannabis Is Growing Like, Well, a Weed
- 6 Common Myths About Pet Allergies
- 5 Things You Don't Know About Superbugs
- BrainStormers: Backyard DIY Inventors Tackle Weather,...
- 4 Surprising Tips You Need to Know Before Buying or...
- What Does It Mean to File a Tax Extension?
- 8 consejos para que las personas de la tercera edad...