Are we addicted to our iPhones?
I've talked about how dependent we've all become on our mobile devices. Take a quick look while riding BART and you'll see a dozen or so people fixated on some sort of device.
Recently I misplaced my iPhone. For the first few days, it felt similar to the time I quit smoking. I could feel the urge to check something, anything-Twitter, news, email, Facebook, weather, etc.-every few minutes.
I then realized how my Internet usage had changed since getting my first Smartphone. Although I cannot say if the overall amount of time I was spending online had changed much, the frequency of how often I was checking something had increased drastically. Although I was consuming data in smaller bytes, I was online constantly.
As time went on, I grew accustom to not having a mobile device. Eventually it was liberating; I came to remember a world I'd forgotten! I felt more relaxed; I grew used to not being connected all the time. I found I could wait until I got home to check into whatever. I pondered things instead of Googling them. I listened to the birds instead of always controlling what I was listening to. I started to read things that were actually printed on paper!
I eventually found my iPhone. I'm glad I did, but I'm thinking maybe I should spend a month each year not carrying any mobile device. While I realize this would be impractical for many of us these days, I would, invite anyone who is able to: try leaving your mobile device at home whenever you can. You'll be surprised at all of the things you notice!
Christophe Robin is a Tower staff writer. E-mail him at email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent Laney Tower News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST LANEY TOWER NEWS
RECENT LANEY TOWER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- How Plumbing Is Flushing Into the Future
- New App Takes the Task Out of Boat Maintenance
- Talk Before You Take When Dealing With Medicine
- Eclectic Father's Day Gift Ideas for Dad
- When on an Association Board, Education Is a Must
- Anti-Cancer Compounds Show Promise in Early Research
- 5 Ways to Keep Your Home Clean During a Remodel
- This Spring, It's all About That Bass Fishing -- and Your...
- Pepper Spray Conversations Heat Up, Myths Debunked
- The Eyes Have It -- New Corrective Lens Marks Vision...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'
- UT Austin Tops All-America Student Analyst Competition 2014-15
- SVG, NACDA Announce Finalists for 2015 College Sports Media Awards