Cinnamongirls support young women
The community of Cinnamongirl Inc., a non-profit mentoring program, held a meet and greet on May 9 at the MetroCenter Auditorium in Oakland for new mentors, volunteers and additional young women to become Cinnamongirls.
The CGI is an Oakland-based mentoring program with a mission of empowering and inspiring young women (primarily African American and Latina women) between the ages of 12-17.
Founder Renee Richard said, "We are all different spices, and this program is for all. I am more interested in what's inside of these young ladies.
"Are they hungry enough to be the ones to truly make a difference in the world?"
Richard likes to pull out those inner qualities that can set each young woman apart and enhance their true individualism.
In Oakland alone there are approximately 50,000 girls: 40 percent live below the poverty line, 26 percent experience abuse as young girls; over 80 percent don't graduate from college and less than 10 percent hold professional careers.
Cinnamongirl Inc. is the organization helping to bridge home life and helping create the reality that college life is possible regardless of your circumstances.
Its main focus is to take a young woman and give her personalized mentoring in the areas of college preparation workshops, career development seminars and enrichment activities.
"Some of these young ladies have never been to a museum, a cultural event, or seen a play at a theatre," Richard said.
CGI provides those types of opportunities for their "Cinnamongirls."
"CGI empowers young women to take charge of their lives," she said. Richard is proud of the fact that her organization takes each young woman and gives her specialized attention.
"No two young ladies are the same and each needs to feel special and know that there is someone there to support them," she said.
Some educational goals of the Cinnamongirl Inc. program include: 100 percent of the girls will be college-bound after participating in the program, GPAs will improve a full point after one year, 100 percent of all the girls take on a leadership role before graduating high school, and 75 percent of CGI graduates pursue a graduate degree.
"A Cinnamongirl is ambitious and intelligent but often lacking the resources and support needed to make her dreams become a reality," Richard said.
For the professional individual that looks to give back, CGI is an organization of choice. Each year it recruits highly qualified individuals from all professional fields to commit their time and resources to build a nurturing relationship with these young ladies.
"These mentors nurture bonds that foster a sustained sisterhood, which provide an environment in which the mentee can develop her unique strengths and talents.
"The mentors care about these young ladies; they are cultivating lasting bonds that go beyond the program," Richard said.
Cinnamongirl Inc. is currently looking to match up ambitious girls with enthusiastic professional mentors. Anyone interested in getting more information on how to participate in the program or mentoring, contact 510.531.4740 or email email@example.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent Laney Tower News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST LANEY TOWER NEWS
RECENT LANEY TOWER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR