Theater review: 'The Wild Bride'
Berkeley Repertory Theatre's latest production "The Wild Bride" is a timeless, imaginative ride to visit the devil at the crossroads. Adapted from A Brothers Grimm tale by director Emma Rice, "Bride" employs the superlative talents of England's Kneehigh Theatre in a bluesy folktale world that soon descends into a land of disturbing nightmares. This is the Grimms tale known as "The Girl without Hands".
The Girl, wonderfully played by Audrey Brisson, is accidentally sold by her father to the devil and the story becomes darker by degrees. Stuart McLoughlin is the chilling, but engaging, devil who roosts in a tree in the forest making sinister proclamations. His folksy charm masks his black soul while he blast blues riff on a guitar and sings in a creepy falsetto voice.
After losing her hands, the girl escapes to the forest and finds a magic pear tree before marrying an eccentric prince (Stuart Goodwin). The devil still tries to court the girl and returns to the forest to find her with the Prince's child.
"The Wild Bride" gets a Berkeley update when the devil complains "This is a feminist fairy tale". And so it is...
"The Wild Bride" plays at Berkeley Repertory Theatre through January 4. For ticket information, visit http://berkeleyrep.org.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent Laney Tower News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST LANEY TOWER NEWS
RECENT LANEY TOWER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections